It is believed that the site of All Saints may have been consecrated as early as the 2nd century AD when Christianity first came to Britain. The earliest evidence of Christian worship are fragments of Anglian crosses, the oldest being dated at about 750 AD. These crosses will have been used as focal points for Christian gatherings before church buildings were erected.
The first church building on the site was Anglo Saxon but only the foundations still remain. A Norman church was built over those foundations during the 11th century, and this forms the present day chancel. It was enlarged in about 1240 by the addition of a wide nave, a north and south transept and a plain unbuttressed tower. Further additions and modifications took place during later centuries, including the magnificent stained-glass East Window in 1851.
There is still much evidence of its history, both inside and outside the church, in the form of architectural features, memorials and artefacts. There is a booklet of historical notes available at the back of the church.